Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Leafy wrist cuff

 Played with felt last week and came up with this leafy cuff for my daughter using scraps she donated to me.  I have limited colours but thought I could make a leaf cuff work.  I chose scraps that were big enough to cut with the TH Tattered Leaves die and cut 12 leaves.  I used wool thread which I obtained at a local thrift shop  - also limited colours.  I found some to coordinate with all of my leaves and did the button hole stitch around all of them hiding my ends in the felt.  I wanted to add a bit of colour so used gold thread in my sewing machine
and added the veining in each leaf. Now came the fun part - layering them to create a pleasing arrangement.  Once I liked the placement, I pinned them to each other to maintain their order and stitched them together.  I used regular sewing thread and hand stitched each leaf to the one below it where they overlapped.  I used very small stitches and did not go all the way through the felt so the underside looks as nice as the front.  I added two little black snaps as a closure which could be moved if it didn't fit perfectly.  As it was, it was just right and she liked it!!

Therese

3 comments:

  1. Very pretty. I would not have thought to create something like this. Thank you for showing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to see that you still create with fabric/fiber from time to time!
    I stop in and visit your site every couple of weeks to see all the creative work that you do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty! Could make a fall one too!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments