Saturday, February 15, 2014

Mahalo cards - Maui vacation

 Just returned from a week in Maui!!!!!!  What a wonderful trip and a great winter vacation - our very first!!  If you have never been to the Islands - I would highly recommend going - warm temperatures, no bugs, beautiful scenery, great food and friendly people!!
I needed a few cards for people who have helped us make this vacation happen so I created this Mahalo (Hawaiin for Thank you) digital greeting stamp.  I used a public domain font from Open Font Library and added the lines inside the letters to create our ocean view from the beach behind the hotel.  I laser printed and watercoloured the greetings.  Love how it turned out.  My second digital stamp this year.  Here is my first!!
I used a digital image of a hibiscus (they grow everywhere outdoors in Hawaii) which I acquired from Island Paperie - a paper/scrapbooking store in Maui.  I bought Volume II of their digital Clipart collection.  They have a wonderful store - rubber stamps, paper, etc, etc!!  Great place to visit!!
I laser printed the images, watercoloured and then fussy cut them for my cards. I used some Hawaiin scrapbook paper which I just acquired from my daughter which she received in a lot along with other items and thought I could use after our trip. Thanks, Suzanne!!  The label is from a set of Sizzix Framelits I also bought while on vacation at Ben Franklin's in the Queen Ka'ahumanu Mall in Kahului in Maui.  It has three labels and two ovals which nest which I think will layer very nicely.
So you can see that I made my cards all different using the same basic supplies - green cardstock, 4" x 5.25" decorative paper, a red label die cut, a fussy cut hibiscus, a coloured greeting and some ribbon.
Here are some of the techniques I used:  different orientation - portrait and landscape, background paper - whole or cut up into strips or rectangles, greeting - trimmed with decorative scissors or distressed, label - embossed with two different embossing folders, ribbon - long pieces, short pieces and a flag. One card has no ribbon because I could not seem to incorporate it in the design.
I am happy with all my cards and some will be on their way shortly.  I will be using a couple for my card exchange as well.

Therese


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments